Arkhangelsk — the capital of Pomory
Arkhangelsk is located on both banks of Northern Dvina river, 40 km from the White Sea, about 1100 km to the north of Moscow. Arkhangelsk is the city of white nights. It is the city redolent of ancient times. It is the place where one can feel the atmosphere of the heroic past of the motherland. Its history started in 1584 due to the edict of the Tsar of All the Russia’s Ivan the Terrible. And its name was connected with the Monastery of the Archangel Michael that was located nearby when Arkhangelsk was just a small settlement. Historians call Arkhangelsk “the Russian gate to the Arctic” since the most famous arctic expeditions have started there. Due to the fact that this city is located near one of the largest Russian rivers Northern Dvina and the White Sea, it has been being used as an international trade centre for many years. Today it serves as a crucial administrative, cultural and industrial centre of the Russian federation.
Top 10 sights that are worth visiting in Arkhangelsk:
- the Arkhangelsk sea terminal that is depicted on a current 500-rouble note;
- the museum entitled “Malye Korely” where you can admire the unique samples of wooden architecture in the open air;
- several national parks where you can watch young seals and polar bears;
- the Plesetsk Cosmodrome — the first state experimental space port;
- “Red Forge” — a shipyard that was established at the dawn of the industrialisation of Russia; - the village Lomonosovo where the great scientist Mikhail Vasilyevich Lomonosov was born and grew up;
- the New Dvina Fortress — the first stone bastion in Russia, it is the place where Russian troops have achieved the first sea victory;
- Pinezhie — the area of the alabaster river Pinega, the beautiful icy waterfall and myriads of underground lakes and solutional caves;
- the village Nyonoksa where you can get acquainted with the style of life traditional for Pomorye;
- the island Solombala where you can admire numerous ancient churches against the background of the fantastic nature. These primitive lands are ruled by the severe, but fair-minded snowy queen of the Arctic. She smiles only when guests visit her. Welcome to Pomor land and you will fall in love with this city at first glance.