Admission to Novodevichy Convent, one of the most impressive places of Moscow is a unique possibility to penetrate into the past. A guided tour within the walls of the oldest convent will for sure be memorable!
The Novodevichy Convent is referred to as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Built as early as the 16th century, this architectural masterpiece of the city has preserved most of its original appearance.
Thick walls of the Novodevichy Convent have witnessed the fate of the Russian state over the course of history. Many tsars were confined in the cloister after palace coups d’etat and had to spend the rest of their lives behind its walls.
When in the grounds of the convent situated almost downtown Moscow, one immediately penetrates into the atmosphere of peace and calmness and feels far from the hustle and bustle of the city. The exterior of the Novodevichy Convent looks like an unassailable fortress. It represents an architectural complex of stunning cathedrals, churches and palaces built in Russian Baroque style. The entire complex is enclosed with a high white-stone defensive wall.
Many people come there not only to enjoy the beauty and grandeur of the sight but also pray and touch valuable icons. Some of the icons treasured in the churches and cathedrals of the Novodevichy Convent are believed to be wonderworking. According to some folk tales, one’s wish will come true if to make it against the walls of the church tower where tsarevna Sophia was kept in seclusion.
A professional guide will provide some helpful information about the sight that will leave no one indifferent. After a stroll in the grounds of the Novodevichy Convent one will feel captivated with peace and spiritual wealth of the place.
Behind the wall of the convent there is Novodevichy Cemetery which is remarkable for the fact that many prominent people of the country were buried there. The site is popular with tourists who can honour the memory of outstanding writers, actors, politicians and lots of other celebrities.
After the tour to the convent, admission to the cemetery is either on your own or by guided tour. The latter is intended to visit both the Novodevichy Convent and the cemetery. The service is available on our website under the title "Novodevichy Convent and its Cemetery".
- Entrance tickets to the grounds of the Novodevichy Convent;
- Guided walking tour to the architectural complex of the Novodevichy Convent. The tour is accompanied by guide’s comments on the most remarkable monuments;
- Entrance tickets to convents, cathedrals, churches in the grounds of the Novodevichy Convent;
- In summer the tour includes admission to Smolensky Cathedral. The guide will provide some information on its frescoes and iconostasis;
- In winter the tour includes admission to the Church of the Assumption.
- clothing acceptable for church and comfortable walking shoes;
- a coat and umbrella in case of rain and some water as there is no food to be sold in the grounds of the convent.
The Novodevichy Convent is open daily, from 09.00 AM till 5 PM.
Admission to the convent is available after passing through a metal detector gate. Tourists’ bags are to be inspected. All metallic items are to be pulled out of pockets and put on a table.
THE FOLLOWING IS PROHIBITED WHILE IN THE GROUNDS OF THE NOVODEVICHY CONVENT:
- admission to the grounds of the convent with animals;
- walking on the lawn;
- roller skating, bicycle- and scooter riding;
- admission to the convent in clothing unacceptable for church: women in pants and low cut or short dresses; men in shorts and U-shirts;
- admission to utility- and dwelling rooms;
- smoking and drinking;
- professional photography and video recording without the consent of the Moscow Eparchy;
- amateur photography and video recording without advance payment in a ticket counter. To record or take pictures of cloisterers is permitted only with their personal consent;
- loudspeaker equipment use.
Tourists’ safety provision follows the requirements of All-Union State Standard (GOST Р 5064494).
Confirmation within 24 hours.
No cancellation fees more than 72 hours in advance
Reservation changes can be processed up to 3 days (72 hours) prior to the start of a tour. In case cancellations are carried out more than 72 hours in advance, 100 % of the total cost of a tour is refunded. If reservation is cancelled within 24-72 hours prior to the start of a tour, 50 % of its total cost is refunded. If reservation is cancelled less than 24 hours in advance, no refund is granted.
Payment for a child under 18 is equal to that of an adult.
A park and a pond near Novodevichy Convent are among my favorite places in Moscow. You can sunbathe there when it is hot or just walk in relaxed atmosphere. Sometimes amid the noise and mess of the big city that is exactly what you need.